AUCTION - The historic "Battle Building" at 1033 12th Avenue North along Jefferson Street in North Nashville will be sold at public auction on Wednesday March 14 at 10:30am. Built in the 1880s, the brick sidehall is one of the oldest remaining houses in the neighborhood. Previous owners and occupants include Asa Kenny, an African-American carpenter at Roger Williams University; A.G. Price, a linotype operator for the National Baptist Publishing Board; Rev. Elvin Burrell Looper, a clerk a the Sunday School Publishing Board; and James C. Jordan, an African-American carpenter at Meharry College. Auction information including exterior and interior photos can be found at http://www.colsonauctions.com/. The house retains many original architectural elements, such as a fireplace mantel, staircase, doors, and trim. For more information about the history of this unique landmark, contact the Metro Historical Commission. The property may qualify for preservation incentives, including federal tax credits and grants. The home also qualifies for our Preservation Easement program. Please spread the word so this historic property will be purchased by a preservation friendly buyer who will not demolish the building for redevelopment purposes. #KeepNashvilleUnique
UPDATE: Last week, the MDHA Design Review Committee approved a massive new apartment development that will incorporate the historic Stockyard landmark at 901 2nd Avenue North near Germantown. The proposed "Broadstone Stockyard" apartment complex would be designed by Brock Hudgins Architects out of Atlanta. The committee includes a representative from the Metro Historical Commission. The developer will need to return to MDHA for approval of more detailed elements of the project. A previous proposal to redevelop the Stockyard property with a 310-unit apartment complex stalled in early 2017.
Historic Nashville is happy to announce that the Anne and Mignon Nixon and Clark Family Trust donated a Preservation Easement for the historic Betty Nixon House near Hillsboro Village, forever saving the landmark from demolition. Owned by former Metro Councilwoman and preservationist Betty Nixon from 1971-2016, the nearly 100-year old home marks the 18th easement donated to HNI. Located at 1607 18th Avenue South, the Colonial Revival-style home was constructed of hand-laid stone in 1925 for Thomas O. Bagley, a local cotton merchant. The property was also owned by Mrs. Elsie Caldwell Buntin from 1951-1971 and by John Trice Nixon, a U.S. district judge, and his wife Betty Chiles Nixon, a well-known neighborhood leader who represented District 18 on the Metro Council from 1975-1987, and twice ran for mayor. This house served as headquarters for Nixon’s political campaigns. “We are thrilled that the house is to be protected in perpetuity through a preservation easement,” stated Mignon and Anne Nixon. “And, we are profoundly grateful to Historic Nashville for helping secure this tangible legacy of our mother’s extraordinary life and commitment to Nashville’s neighborhoods.” “We are grateful to be involved in helping preserve this beautiful architectural landmark, which helps tell the story of women’s history in Nashville,” stated HNI president Jenn Harrman. “Betty Nixon was a longtime leader in the local preservation movement, and we are honored to help preserve her legacy.” #KeepNashvilleUnique #ThisPlaceMatters
Merry Christmas, from Nashville!
Happy Thanksgiving from Historic Nashville! #SaveOurNeonSigns Wendell Smith’s Restaurant: This no-frills diner has been serving up burgers, mac ‘n cheese, sweet tea and a heavenly vintage glow off Charlotte Avenue for more than 60 years. 407 53rd Ave N, Nashville. Photo courtesy Noble Nashville.
...another music industry landmark on Music Row for a new skyscraper at the corner of Division and 19th Avenue. The 20-story mixed-use development will replace the 1929 National Register-eligible Florence Crittenton...
Mar 09 2017
Several residents have contacted Historic Nashville about the possible demolition of a historic house at 901 McClurkin Avenue in East Nashville so the lot can be redeveloped. Constructed around 1940, this brick Tudor...
Feb 07 2017
Jan 19 2017
...BZA) meets today at the Sonny West Conference Center in the Howard Office Building at 700 2nd Ave South at 1:00pm to review the request for four variances from Greg Heckmon and Steve...
Jan 17 2017
...Nine list of the city's most endangered historic places. Built in the 1860s at 931 Main Street in East Nashville, the Greek Revival landmark was built by an Irish immigrant and modeled...
Dec 27 2016
...Mothers on Nashville's Music Row. Built in 1929 by Dr. Richard Alexander Barr at 1815 Division Street, the three-story brick building served as the location of the doctor's offices and...
...construct a surface parking lot on the 0.68-acre parcel at the corner of Division and 19th Avenue. The 87-year old historic building was not protected by a preservation easement or a...
Dec 22 2016
...Vanderbilt's purchase of several buildings in Midtown, including the historic House of Manuel at 1922 Broadway. Forrest interviewed Historic Nashville board member Robbie Jones for the story. #KeepNashvilleUnique #ThisPlaceMatters
Dec 20 2016
...Manuel Cuevas operated his House of Manuel clothing studio in the circa 1908 dwelling at 1922 Broadway from 1988-2013 before relocating to a studio downtown. A native of Mexico, Manuel worked...
Dec 13 2016
Calling All Volunteers! Our Special Events committee will be meeting soon to begin planning the 2017 calendar of fundraising events. If you have passion for fundraising and event planning, join our Special Events committee today! #keepnashvilleunique